Monday, July 20, 2009

Making the Connection

New Course Offered on Friday Mornings this Fall (facilitated by Heather Jackson)

Whether you are a new Christian or have sat in church for most of your life, living as a disciple of Christ is probably a new concept. Many of us have never made the connection that our lives can and ought to be different because of our belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior. Lots of us were never taught how to pray, how to read the Bible, or how God has a plan for each of us in His kingdom now.

Come be encouraged, equipped and challenged on this practical course on how to live as a disciple of Christ today. We’ll talk – and practice – the principles that Jesus taught his disciples. We’ll make the connection between this God we worship on Sunday mornings and the rest of our lives by exploring the Bible, prayer, the Holy Spirit, quiet time, small groups and more. Questions are highly encouraged. There will be some homework/practical exercises to complete each week.

The topics covered will include:

The Bible
What kind of Bible should I get? How do I read my Bible? What does the Old Testament have to do with me? Were the people in the Bible perfect? What does all of this “history” have to do with my life now?

God the Father
I believe in God, but how does He feel about me? Should my life be different because of my belief in Him? Does he have special plans for me? What do those words mean (sovereign, omniscient, omnipresent, almighty, eternal)?

God the Son
What does “having a relationship with Jesus Christ” mean? How do I go about this relationship? Why is it necessary? How can I be different because of Him?

God the Holy Spirit
What is the Holy Spirit all about? Is he real? Will I do weird things?

Prayer
We talk a lot about prayer, but how do we actually do it? Does God really hear me? If he’s in control, why should I pray? Maybe he answered prayer in the Bible, but does he really answer prayer today? How do I learn to “hear” from God?

Quiet Time
What is quiet time that everyone is talking about? Why/when/how should I do it? Does God really care if I do quiet time? What can I do to keep it from being boring?

Small Groups
Why should I be in a small group? What are they going to expect from me? What am I supposed to know?

Daily Life
I know I’m going to heaven, isn’t that all there is to it? Isn’t church on Sundays enough? What kind of life did Jesus promise believers? Can’t I just blend in with everyone else?

No comments: